[Samba] Clarification on Samba AD functional levels

contactdarin at posteo.net contactdarin at posteo.net
Fri May 3 18:07:23 UTC 2024

Hello all,

Does Samba properly support 2012_R2 domains? If so, what is the earliest
version of Samba AD that supports it? I see that the most recent
versions support ad dc functional level = 2012_R2 in smb.conf but I am
unsure if I can safely run 2012_R2 functional level on older versions of
Samba.

A little background:

In my test environment I setup a Samba 4.20 AD Domain Controller with
functional level 2012_R2. From there I joined a Windows Server 2022 to
the domain and I forced the activation of the time and sysvol with help
from this guide:
https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html

As far as I can tell it is working correctly correctly. However, I am
curious if I can get something similar to this working on something more
stable than Fedora server.

Thank you for your time,

Darin