[Samba] GPO Editor says "Access denied" for Group Policy Objects

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Thu May 2 10:07:13 UTC 2024

Hello all, to return to the original topic:

My original problem was that I could not edit GP objects with the GP
Editor, even as Domain admin. I always got "access denied". A
sysvolcheck returned no errors and the Windows "Security" tab for the
object in question on the sysvol share looked correct.

I now found out that the group id of the sysvol folder (and everything
below) was 3000000, while the "Administrators" group has the group ID
3000002. I corrected the group ID assigned to the sysvol folder on both
DCs and now I can edit the GP objects with the GPO editor.

I still do not understand why on my DCs "getent group" and "getent user"
do not return the Windows groups and users, but that is probably a
cosmetic thing as you can get all info via wbinfo and samba-tool.
Just for this case here it would then also display the group ownership
of the sysvol folder. I have "winbind" in nsswitch .conf and no other
special settings, on other similar DCs getent group returns the groups,
not sure why it is not working here, but perhaps not important enough to
invest more time.

I will correct the smb.conf of the member server to omit unneccessary
bits with the next maintenance slot.

Hope this helps others, Jakob