[Samba] Linux Mint 21.3 client AD joined OK but no usb working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 30 13:40:09 UTC 2024

On Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:22:52 -0300
"Douglas G. Oechsler via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello!
> >

> > After much searching on the internet, I have now given up on this,
> > it has nothing to do with Samba and everything to do with udev and
> > udisks2.
> >
> > When you insert a usb drive into a Linux computer, udev and udisks2
> > mount it on /media/USERNAME/USBDRIVENAME, it also mounts it as
> > root:root with the permissions set to drwxr-xr-x, so only root can
> > write to the drive, but everyone can traverse and read it.
> >
> > From what I can see, this cannot be automatically changed and will
> > not be changed in code (he who is god, systemd wise, has spoken).
> >
> > Provided the drive is using a Linux filesystem (ext2 etc) then you
> > can change the permissions with 'chown', but you would have to do
> > this as root, any other filesystem, then I think you are stuck with
> > what you are given.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> It's hard to put Linux machines in AD in this way. The users need
> access to your usb ports sometimes.
> Even linux machines not being member AD I can map file servers and
> users can work well and access usb ports.
> At this moment it works well.

I totally agree, you do need to be able to write to a usb drive, it is
just that (and this has nothing to do with Samba or AD), by design, you
cannot write to a usb drive mounted in /media/USERNAME.

If you want to allow your users to write to a usb drive, then you need
to use chown & chmod, which means using a Linux filesystem.

Rowland