[Samba] Linux Mint 21.3 client AD joined OK but no usb working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 22 19:39:45 UTC 2024

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:21:08 -0300
"Douglas G. Oechsler" <doguibnu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Em sex., 22 de mar. de 2024 às 15:01, Rowland Penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> escreveu:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:29:24 -0300
> > "Douglas G. Oechsler" <doguibnu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Rowland!
> > >
> > > This is my Samba AD-DC testparm. Operating System: Rocky Linux 8.9
> > >
> > > # Global parameters
> > > [global]
> > > dns forwarder = 10.1.1.30
> > > ldap server require strong auth = No
> > > passdb backend = samba_dsdb
> > > realm = DOMAIN.PR
> > > server role = active directory domain controller
> > > workgroup = DOMAIN
> >
> > > [netlogon]
> > > path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/prude.pr/scripts
> > > read only = No
> > >
> > > Samba version:
> > > smbd -V
> > > Version 4.18.0
> >
> > Ah that explains it, you are running a self compiled Samba.
> >

> What does this mean (self compiled)?

Basically what it says, you compiled Samba yourself

> Can the Linux Mint side not
> work well and the pen drivers not be recognised ?

Yes, it shouldn't make any difference, the drives should be recognised,
but it sounds like it isn't Samba that isn't recognising the drives, it
is the OS.

> Yes, I compiled samba ad-dc for rocky Linux.

Unless you used '--with-system-mitkrb5 --with-experimental-mit-ad-dc',
you will be using the default Heimdal kdc, just like the Linux Mint
Samba packages.

> > > So, the link below shows the screen after Linux Mint 21.3 inside
> > > samba AD, with 3 pen drives connected. When Linux mint is not
> > > inside AD, all devices can be read and can access normally
> > > without errors about NTFS or something about.
> > >
> > > But, after inside of the AD, we get this screens:
> > >
> > > https://imgbb.host/vNoae
> > > https://imgbb.host/vNPbQ
> > >

> > I think the one that ends in 'NTFS' may be relevant, are the USB
> > drives formatted with the NTFS filesystem ?
> >

> I connect 3 pen drivers with different partitions, NTFS, Linux Mint
> installer pen drive and other Linux partitions. When Linux MInt is
> out AD it recognises and runs the 3 kind partition normally. No
> problem what kind is: Ntfs run nice, and others. Simply run well and
> good.

I think you are saying that when the computer is NOT a domain member,
you can use the USB drives. If you then join the computer to the
domain, you cannot use the drives, this is strange.

> What I can not understand:  Why are USB ports there no permission to
> be recognised or read and run properly when Linux Mint is an AD
> member?

Let me think about this, I can think of no reason for it not working.

Rowland