[Samba] Clusterered setup on a mix of arm64 and x86 - ctbd "Startup event failed"

K Gopal Krishna k.gopal.krishna at croit.io
Tue Mar 19 07:58:33 UTC 2024

Hello,

Is samba expected to run on a cluster/mixture of arm64 and x86 nodes? I was trying it out on a bunch of VMs (3 x86, 2 arm64) and ctdb fails on the arm64 nodes with “Startup event failed” and seems to kill samba with `systemctl stop —full smbd`. The samba version is consistent across all VMs: Samba version 4.13.4-git.187.5ad4708741a1.34-SUSE-oS15.0-x86_64

Additionally, it seems that the type of nodes that are added first work — if arm64 devices are added first to the cluster, samba starts on them just fine and the later added x86 nodes have samba fail to start. If both types of nodes are added at once, in my testing, samba starts on only the x86 nodes.

Some ctdb logs:

https://paste.ec/paste/GBWUv7bq#rKHIf-fe9sKJ1Y7Zzsd7MVQsgdCTIR+IXcds09jtJj/

https://paste.ec/paste/HpJZnfpd#FvhSEnSq5J-IRV08WpJdF2Wqa7HHQHJ12ij118Y2cXM

Thank you
K Gopal Krishna
Ceph Support Engineer

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges, Andy Muthmann - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263

Visit us at the SC23 in Denver, booth #2117!
For further information, visit: https://sc23.supercomputing.org/

TOP 100 Innovator Award Winner by compamedia
Technology Fast50 Award Winner by Deloitte