[Samba] Cannot Get Samba to Work Without Encrypted Password with Legacy Client

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Mar 10 10:30:44 UTC 2024

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:37:09 -0500
Tygre via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> 	Hi there,
>
> 	Sorry to come back to that, I tried to follow the code at
> https://github.com/samba-team/samba/blob/master/source3/auth/auth.c#L214
> (and below) but I still can't understand why one Samba client can
> connect, but the other can't.
>
> 	I can't understand why, with one client, the code would go
> into "check_samsec.c:183" (and return "sam_account_ok") while, with
> the other client, the code would go immediately into "auth.c:251"
> (and fail to login).
>
> 	Could you help me understand, which could maybe give me an
> idea on configuring Samba for both client to work?
>
> 	Thanks in advance,
> 	Yann

I think one of your problems is that you seem to be failing to
understand that when you you run Samba as a standalone server, it is
also a client for other servers, this means that you may have missed
this parameter: lanman auth

Which defaults to 'no', so your 'server' will only use SMBv1 (at a
minimum and if configured to do so) and, from memory, an Amiga hasn't a
clue what SMB is.

Rowland