[Samba] Migrate

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 3 20:36:52 UTC 2024

On Sun, 2024-03-03 at 21:28 +0100, Josep Maria Gorro via samba wrote:
> Dear all.
> I currently have a Centos7 box running Samba 4.6.5. I would like to
> increase functional level to latest one. For this reason I created
> another box (Ubuntu 22.04) with 4.18.9.The plan was to define Ubuntu
> box as an additional AD server. Once have replica of the AD, move
> FSMO from Centos to Ubuntu, demote the Centos server and finally
> increase functional level.
> On Ubuntu, checked resolv.conf settings, krb5.conf settings.Creation
> of Kerberos ticket with kinit fine, using domain administrator
> account. Checked with klist.Finally launched domain join request
> (samba-tool domain join AD_NAME -U"administrator")It seems that all
> runs fine but finally I got an error and a rollback is done on AD
> database. The error appears to be:
>     ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception -
> (8442,    'WERR_DS_DRA_INTERNAL_ERROR')       File

I would turn up the log level on the client and server and see what the
error is.

>     "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",    line 230, in _run
> return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
> File    "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py",    line 733, in run
> join_DC(logger=logger, server=server, creds=creds,
> lp=lp,    domain=domain,
> File    "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/join.py", line    1598, in join_DC
> ctx.do_join()       File    "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/join.py", line    1488, in do_join
> ctx.join_replicate()
> File    "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/join.py", line    1031, in join_replicate
> repl.replicate(nc, source_dsa_invocation_id,
> File    "/usr/local/samba/lib/python3.10/site-
> packages/samba/drs_utils.py",    line 358, in replicate
> (level, ctr) = self.drs.DsGetNCChanges(self.drs_handle,    req_level,
> req)
> Ok. Tried second way: move step forward the current4.6.5 release to
> new ones (up to 4.9.0 that includes samba-tool domain backup
> facilities) but the first step (from 4.6.5 to 4.8.0) fails. The make
> and make install seems to run fine but when I try to perform a
> dbcheck (done without issues when running 4.6.5) it throws
>     ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - operations error
> at    ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:516

You should get the source for that version and look at that line to
understand more what the problem could be.
Andrew Bartlett

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions