[Samba] Behavior of acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes on a share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 31 11:36:19 UTC 2024

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:21:59 +0100
Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 31.01.2024 11:56, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
> > On 1/31/24 11:38, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, that doesn't work. In share permissions, it's not
> >> possible to remove Everyone, nor add another security object.
> >> Clicking OK, the dialog closes without any errors, but opening it
> >> again, Everyone is still there. I was sure to start Computer
> >> Management as Administrator.
> >
> > are we talking share permissions or filesystem permissions? They
> > are two things...
> >
> > Have you granted SE_DISK_OPERATOR_PRIVILEGE which is needed iirc to
> > change share permissions?
> >
> Hi Ralph,
>
> This post was about the share permissions tab. It would be OK, to use
> Everyone under share permissions, if it was possible to later select
> the security objects under the security tab (which is not possible).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

As I said, you do not alter the 'Share' tab, only the 'Security' tab,
which is failing.

The only time this occurs for myself is if I create a new share with
the 'acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes' line set, reload the config
and then go directly to a Windows machine and attempt to change the
permissions.
Thinking about this, could it be failing because there are no Windows
permissions stored by Samba at this point, so there is nothing to change
?

Rowland