[Samba] Behavior of acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes on a share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 31 11:28:33 UTC 2024

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:19:06 +0100
Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 31.01.2024 11:48, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:38:31 +0100
> > Peter Milesson via samba<samba at lists.samba.org>  wrote:

> >> Hi Ralph,
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, that doesn't work. In share permissions,
> > Sorry, but you should only modify the 'Security' tab, for which a
> > better name would be 'NTFS permissions'
> > However, as I have found, you can remove 'EVERYONE' from the
> > Security tab permissions, but it doesn't remove it from the
> > permissions set on the actual share directory.
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> >> it's not
> >> possible to remove Everyone, nor add another security object.
> >> Clicking OK, the dialog closes without any errors, but opening it
> >> again, Everyone is still there. I was sure to start Computer
> >> Management as Administrator.
> >>
> >> If it would be possible to set share permissions, then it would be
> >> usable.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>

> Hi Rowland,
>
> No, it's not possible to touch anything in the security tab. When
> clicking OK, I get the message "Failed to enumerate objects in the
> container. Access denied"
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter, did you set 'acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes' in the share
before you first attempted to change the permissions from Windows, or
after. I ask this because, from my testing, if you set the line before
the first permissions change from Windows, you get the error that you
are now getting.

Rowland