[Samba] Samba Logs

June Chong june at tw.co.nz
Wed Jan 31 01:29:08 UTC 2024

Hi team,

Hope that someone can guide me in the right direction.

This is on Samba 4.18.6; Ubuntu 23.10

I have put max log size: 512002 under smb.conf for testing. However,
this doesn't apply to log.samba. The logs for that are all capped at 5
mb before rotation happens.

This is what I have on my smb.conf.

[global]
         log level = 1 kerberos:2@/var/log/samba/kerberos.log
auth_audit:3@/var/log/samba/audit.log winbind:2@/var/log/samba/winbind.log
         max log size = 512002

Also I am wanting to trace /"Auth: [Kerberos KDC,ENC-TS
Pre-authentication] user..." /logs which I can see under the auth_audit
class. Is there a way to grab only those Kerberos specific entries? I
have tried using the kerberos class but nothing was logged when I
specified a path.

Unsure which log classes are still valid basing off the manual for
smb.conf. I tried a full_audit which the system returned as unknown class?

/[2024/01/31 13:08:14.699574,  0]
../../lib/util/util_runcmd.c:355(samba_runcmd_io_handler)
   /usr/sbin/samba_kcc: debug_lookup_classname: Unknown
classname[full_audit] -> adding it.../

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

--