[Samba] Samba acting as a domain member + netbios

Vincent DROUIN vdrouin at chapsvision.com
Mon Jan 29 08:55:37 UTC 2024

Hello,
It's a hardened unix, on which everything but a data partition is read-only, and this data partition is designed for a specific purpose, not samba configuration.

The only exception are the configurations of the various components (including samba) which are centralized outside in another VM.
When the system boots everyone receive its configuration.

It means for samba that it will receive its configuration and databases at boot, which is why they are stored elsewhere.
Therefore, I need to know which of the databases need to be stored to avoid a new join at boot.

What I've done, which seems to work is to backup passdb, secrets and netlogon_creds_cli databases only, along with a call to testjoin command at boot.

If you believe it's safe to save some additional data, please tell me.

Cheers
Vincent