[Samba] Listing behaviour in 4.18

Ilias Chasapakis forumZFD chasapakis at forumZFD.de
Tue Jan 23 16:20:22 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Passing from samba 4.17 to 4.18 we noticed a change in behaviour in
folder/files listing.

In 4.17 when someone had read and open rights for a folder but no
write/modify access then the folder would be visible but clicking on any
"non-accessible" resource resulted in a message notifying that no access
was granted.

Since 4.18 the folder is simply completely invisible. I don´ t argue
about this being "correct" behaviour or not. It is just that our users
where just used to having the whole list and knowing what is in there
(and eventually ask access to it to us or the relevant department that
then forwards to us).

Is there a way to have that "old behaviour" back while still using samba
4.18? We tried the options suggested in some forums (access based share
enum = no, hide unreadable = no) for the samba configuration to no
avail. Is there actually some option or any other ACL setting technique
that can bring back that behaviour?

--

forumZFD
Entschieden für Frieden | Committed to Peace

Ilias Chasapakis
Referent IT | IT Consultant

Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. | Forum Civil Peace Service
Am Kölner Brett 8 | 50825 Köln | Germany

Tel 0221 91273243 | Fax 0221 91273299 | http://www.forumZFD.de

Vorstand nach § 26 BGB, einzelvertretungsberechtigt|Executive Board:
Alexander Mauz, Sonja Wiekenberg-Mlalandle, Jens von Bargen
VR 17651 Amtsgericht Köln

Spenden|Donations: IBAN DE90 4306 0967 4103 7264 00   BIC GENODEM1GLS