[Samba] Provisioning new AD Domain Controller

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Thu Jan 18 19:51:30 UTC 2024

On Thu Jan 18 14:11:45 2024 Sonic <sonicsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> hosts file? stale dns records?

I listed my hosts file in my first message:

127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.1.60             mail.hprs.local mail

Since I had provisioned initially with the SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS backend, and
therefore Samba manages DNS, I thought perhaps there was a "stale dns", so I
went ahead and entered the old PW for administrator and got:

Password for [administrator at HPRS.LOCL]:
Failed to bind to uuid 50abc2a4-574d-40b3-9d66-ee4fd5fba076 for ncacn_ip_tcp:192.168.1.60[49153,sign,target_hostname=mail,abstract_syntax=50abc2a4-574d-40b3-9d66-ee4fd5fba076/0x00000005,localaddress=192.168.1.60] NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
ERROR: Connecting to DNS RPC server mail failed with (3221225581, 'The attempted logon is invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.')

I tried again specifying the -U parameter:

# samba-tool dns zonelist mail -U administrator
Password for [HPRS\administrator]:
  2 zone(s) found

  pszZoneName                 : hprs.local
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.hprs.local

  pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.hprs.local
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.hprs.local

That apparently worked giving the correct, new hprs.local. But why did the query default to
administrator at HPRS.LOCL, and when I specified -U it used HPRS.LOCAL?

I think there is something messed up no matter what. Who knows what will bite me
if I push forward with some aspect of the DC remembering hprs.locl.

Time to wipe and reinstall Linux!

--Mark