[Samba] Joining Windows 10 Domain Member to Samba AD/DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Thu Jan 18 16:31:19 UTC 2024

On Thu Jan 18 07:40:43 2024 Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Mark Foley via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Does anyone have any idea how I can specify my DC as the time source? Even if I
>
> Some years ago i've mass-migrated clients from an old domain to the new
> samba ad domain.
>
> Roughly half of the machine lost NTP configuration; i was forced to do:
>
> 	w32tm /register
> 	sc start w32time
> 	w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
>

> Never understood why. FYI.

I've tried that one several times - sometimes with complete system restores
in-between.

The "why" is because of "Windows". Time config on Linux or Mac is a matter of a
few config file lines. On Windows time configs are 100s of shot-gun pellets of
keys and attributes scattered throughout the registry.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm reverting back to the original domain
name and we'll see what happens.

--Mark