[Samba] can't add user to security filter in a GPO

samba2024 at imagmbh.de samba2024 at imagmbh.de
Thu Jan 11 10:33:52 UTC 2024

Hello,

we have an Ubuntu 20.04 that was upgraded a while ago from a 16.04,
samba Version is 4.13.17. The Server is a fileserver and a samba domain
controller. Everything looked fine and we barely use GPOs, it was
required to add a a group to a GPO security filter and it does not work,
it worked when it was Ubuntu 16.04 I don't know of the Version in the
past. There is no error message, the user is not added, it was done via
RSAT Tools. I can create a new GPO but there I could not add a user to
security filter there as well.
I see no error message in any log on the Samba side and I see no errors
on Windows side, the group is just not added.
I looked arround and I found a thread saying I should use
samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
there where errors I used the --fix parameter and the result was
Please use --fix to fix these errors
Checked 3629 objects (3483 errors)

but it did not change anything about the previous problem

As there were no messages in the logs neither the Samba-side nor on the
Windows-Side any idea to solve the problem or to dive into would be
greatly appreciated.  Of course I can update to the newest version on
Ubuntu 22.04 but I don't know if I would breake more and destroy the
domain.