[Samba] 'Permission denied' Journal entries for '/var/log/samba/log.rpcd_classic'

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 8 14:49:40 UTC 2024

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 15:32:13 +0100
Luis Peromarta <lperoma at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hey Rowland, how are ya.
>
> Just wondering do you have a procedure for this ? I have been looking
> at this for some time, but afraid of not doing it right and miss logs.
>
> Cheers,
> On Jan 8, 2024 at 15:30 +0100, samba at lists.samba.org
> <samba at lists.samba.org>, wrote:
> >
> > I have no idea about the systemd journal, the first thing I do on
> > Debian bookworm is to install rsyslog and turn off the journal.

OK, but you do this at your own risk, I haven't had any problems, but
who knows ? :-)

sudo apt update

sudo apt install rsyslog

At this point you need you stop systemd-journald from logging, or you will get double logging.

To do this, just remove the logging directory, /var/log/journal.

rm -rf /var/log/journal

Rowland