[Samba] Joining Windows 10 Domain Member to Samba AD/DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Sat Jan 6 18:06:48 UTC 2024

On Sat Jan  6 03:34:43 2024 Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:53:52 +0000
> Luis Peromarta via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > You think ntp works with samba but it doesn’t.
>
> Sorry, but 'ntp' does work, it is the rewrite for more security
> 'ntpsec' that doesn't seem to work.
>

> > You *must* use chrony. It will take you exactly 5 minutes to get it
> > up and running.
>
> Chrony does seem to work, I just hope they do not follow ntpsec down
> the same path.
>
> The other thing that you have to know, Mark Foley is using Slackware,
>
> Rowland

In this case, I think Slackware is not a factor. For one thing, I downloaded the
ntp 4.2.8p17 source and built it using --enable-ntp-signd; not the as-shipped
Slackware version.

Also, I've used ntp 4.2.8p15 for several years, also with --enable-ntp-signd, on
my current Slackware DC and all Windows domain members were able to use it as
the time source.

As well, the fact that I am getting "Local CMOS Clock" when I do 'w32tm /query
/source' on the Windows box certainly has nothing to do with either Slackware or
ntpd.  I have deleted the GPO for "Time Sources", but Windows still says my time
settings are controlled by the DC and I still get "Local CMOS Clock".

So, my next step is to post an issue to Microsoft to see how I can get my time
source reset to "default" which, if everyone on this thread is correct, should
resolve to my DC without me having to do anything special.

I'll post back what I find.

--Mark