[Samba] Joining Windows 10 Domain Member to Samba AD/DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Sat Jan 6 02:07:43 UTC 2024

On Fri Jan  5 18:54:48 2024 Luis Peromarta via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> You think ntp works with samba but it doesn’t.
>
> You *must* use chrony. It will take you exactly 5 minutes to get it up and running.
> On 5 Jan 2024 at 20:21 +0000, Mark Foley <mfoley at novatec-inc.com>, wrote:
> >

> > How do you know you're syncing with the DC? What does your 'w32tm /query /source'
> > give you?
>
> It’s all here :
>
> http://samba.bigbird.es/doku.php?id=samba:install-chrony

I'm willing to give chrony a try. But ...

That doesn't explain why my w32tm /query /source gives me "Local CMOS Clock".
That would have nothing to do with chrony, and indicates to me that the Windows
box isn't going to talk to the DC, period, whether it's running ntpd or chrony.

I'm not sure I agree that ntp doesn't work with Samba. It has been working with
samba for the past 10 years.

But, I'll install chrony shortly and see.

--Mark