[Samba] Samba AD with bind and question about "split dns"/view

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Thu Jan 4 10:50:19 UTC 2024

Hi, recently from Windows clients I have seen anomalous behavior in DNS
resolution if there are multiple IP addresses, especially in DCs,
referring to different subnets. More specifically the different subnets
are mesh VPN networks such as zerotier and netbird.

Trying to make only the IPs of the corresponding subnet appear as a
result based on where the request comes from, for example if the request
comes from the LAN (192.168.1.x) reply with the IP of that subnet and if
it comes from zerotier (10.13.100.x) reply with ip of this other subnet,
I found "split dns" with use of "view" in bind.

Looking at the use of view in Bind it seems that it can be done but
using different zones for view, I don't understand if is possible use it
with Bind on samba AD and if you can manage to have any IPs of new
members who join go to the correct zone and also be able to have the
dynamic update still working.

Can someone please tell me if is possible doing this with samba AD and
DNS management with Bind?