[Samba] Samba, Kerberos, Autofs: Shares get disconnected

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 29 10:22:01 UTC 2024

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:30:14 +0100
"Pluess, Tobias via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> thanks!
> also, I would be highly interested in your manual how to set up a
> computer for testing this, as you announced yesterday, when you have
> some time!
>
> thanks
> best
> Tobias
>
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 4:48 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:32:57 +0100
> > "Pluess, Tobias via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Rowland,
> > >
> > > unfortunately, the DCs in use are Windows Servers, and
> > > furthermore, I don't have access rights. I just have the right to
> > > join computers. So therefore, I cannot run code on them,
> > > unfortunately! :-( Maybe this is the reason why it does not work
> > > properly for me? because the Windows AD DC is not working as
> > > expected?
> > >

> > It shouldn't matter what the DCs are, kerberos should work the
> > same. I am just using two Samba AD DCs because they are the only
> > computers that run 24/7 here.
> >
> > I will setup the computer I am typing this on (which is turned off
> > overnight) to mount the share at boot and see if it mounts at boot
> > tomorrow. I will carry out the same procedure I used on the DC
> > client.

And guess what, it didn't work, So I checked the logs to find this:

Feb 29 09:43:41 testdm12 mount[570]: mount error(126): Required key not
available

Which is understandable when you find this lower down:

Feb 29 09:43:45 testdm12 systemd[1]: Started winbind.service - Samba
Winbind Daemon.

Unless I can find a way to get winbind started before the attempt to
mount the share is carried out, the machines ticket is never going to
be there and the mount will never work.

Any one got any ideas ??

Rowland