[Samba] Samba, Kerberos, Autofs: Shares get disconnected

Pluess, Tobias tpluess at ieee.org
Wed Feb 28 10:56:13 UTC 2024

Hi Rowland,

I tried that. As follows:

[root at machinename mnt]# kinit -k MACHINENAME$
[root at machinename mnt]# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: MACHINENAME$@CAMPUS

Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
02/28/2024 11:50:55  02/28/2024 21:50:55  krbtgt/CAMPUS at CAMPUS
renew until 02/29/2024 11:50:55
[root at machinename mnt]# mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/test
-osec=krb5,multiuser,username=MACHINENAME$
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I don't understand this, as with a personal user account it works. Also the
machine itself is member of the group which has access to that particular
share. Do I need to configure something else?

the server is also a SAMBA server. The fun thing is, with Windows it just
works absolutely perfectly.
With Linux, I can either not mount (as shown above) or, if I can mount
(using a Kerberos ticket from a existing user), I get the funny
disconnects. (I recently did a test where I logged in, and let in a
terminal run "watch -n1 kinit -R" and then this keeps the ticket much
longer than just 10 hours, but after one week disconnects nevertheless.)