[Samba] Samba trying to connect to a non-existant DC for NTP?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Feb 15 21:21:27 UTC 2024

Thu Feb 15 19:48:57 UTC 2024 Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org wrote:

> Is there a firewall blocking this ?
No.  The BROCKLEY domain is on a internal private network.

> What is 192.168.18.161 ?
192.168.18.161 is the private address assigned to SMB4-1.brockley.harte-lyne.ca.

> Is it aac648b2-aac8-411d-afe0-7cbd5455841c._msdcs.brockley.harte-lyne.ca ?
Yes:
ping  aac648b2-aac8-411d-afe0-7cbd5455841c._msdcs.brockley.harte-lyne.ca
PING SMB4-1.brockley.harte-lyne.ca (192.168.18.161): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down

> Do they exist ?.
No.  SMB4-1 was the original DC name when we were converting from CentOS to
FreeBSD.  We had numerous difficulties with transferring ACLs with rsync as I
recall. At some point during the transition efforts SMB4-1 became corrupted or
unusable in some fashion so the conversion target was switched to a new DC
SMB4-2.

It was always intended to re-establish an alternate SAMBA DC but we never found
the time once the conversion was finished.  At this point we just need to erase
it.

I believe we were told to never attempt to add a DC with the name SMB4-1
following this.

Regards,

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3