[Samba] sysvol replication as non-root?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Feb 9 07:22:59 UTC 2024

Hi!

I wonder, is there a way to perform sysvol replication as a non-root user?
When doing automatic replication, such as using rsync over ssh from cron,
one have to put the root ssh key for the remote, which does not look nice.
I would be much more comfortable if the whole thing was owned by a dedicated
user (with ACLs stored in file attributes), but this way, sysvolcheck et al
will sure complain very very loudly (while technically everything should
work fine).

Or are any attempt to do that "more securely", without root access, futile
anyway, since pam_winbind/nss_winbind can return root user?

Thanks,

/mjt