[Samba] Joining Windows 10 Domain Member to Samba AD/DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Fri Feb 9 04:30:21 UTC 2024

On Thu Jan  4 19:46:02 2024 Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I've added a Windows 10 domain member to my Domain. I'm now following the
> procedure in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation#Configuring_Time_Synchronisation_on_a_Windows_Domain_Member.
>
> [deleted]

The above references the first in a long thread I started having to do with
getting a Windows domain member to time-sync with a new DC, Samba 4.18.9.

None of my Windows domain members sync with the new domain controller.

None of these same Windows workstation had any problem syncing with the previous
Samba 4.8.2 DC which ran for the past 10-ish years.

On th DC I've tried both chrony and ntp-4.2.8.  In the ntp case I used the same
4.8.2 version on the old DC; in both cases built with --enable-ntp-signd.

One possible issue was that these Windows domain members were unjoined from the
4.8.2 domain, rejoined to the new 4.18.9, and had Profwiz.exe run on each member
to migrate the domain user's profile.  None of that was done when they were
first joined to the old 4.8.2 domain.  One participant in this thread suggested
I try joining a "virgin" Windows computer.  I did that today with a scratch
install of Windows 10.

After joining the domain I got:

w32tm /query /source
Local CMOS Clock

I hoping for the FQDN of the DC: 'mail.hprs.local', like I used to get with
Samba 4.8.2.

This is the same thing I have been getting from the beginning with the new
4.18.9 DC.  Several thread participants said I shouldn't need to do any group
policies or anything special.  Apparently in my case this is not true.

Everything configured is strictly "vanilla". The DC was provisioned as:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --realm=HPRS.LOCAL --domain=HPRS \
  --server-role=dc --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL \
  --option=interfaces="lo eth0" --option="bind interfaces only=yes"

Nothing else was done on the DC.  The "test" Windows 10 computer was clean
installed today, nothing left over from any previous domain joins or old domain
user profiles.

I've tried with and without a "Time Sources" GPO. At the moment, I have a GPO
configured.

There are only two differences I can identify between when this worked and when
it did not:

1. It worked with Samba 4.8.2 and does not work with Samba 4.18.9.

2. Samba 4.8.2 was provisioned with --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE and Samba
4.18.9 was provisioned with --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL.

Those, I believe, are the only differences. Something must not be working
correctly with Samba 4.18.9.

As time-sync among domain members is supposed to be critical, I am about to get
Microsoft involved.

Before I do that (and before I retry a bunch of the w32tm commands), I'd like to
see if any of the experts on this list have any additional suggestion.

Thanks --Mark