[Samba] Users/admin unable to reset passwords

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Wed Feb 7 12:31:57 UTC 2024

Mandi! Mark Foley via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> The next day when users arrived, they got the message to change their password,
> but the system would not accept the new password.  I had to go back into ADUC
> and un-set that checkbox.  Then users could log in with the password I had set
> and change it with Ctrl-Alt-DEL.

This is effectively strange.

> As an additional experiment, I used samba-tool to set one of the users to have
> his password expire in two days.  Which it did today.  He got no message leading
> up to this telling him his password was about to expire, as used to happen, but
> it did expire today and prevented him from logging in at all, and did not prompt
> him to set a new password.

This is normal. You have set 'account expiration', not 'password
expiration'.
Password expiration get setted via policy (GPO for client, passwordpolicy
for samba).

--
  La tua tana sta in collina, Dr. Dobermann, seimilioni a metro quadro
  e tua moglie sembra proprio una regina,