[Samba] samba-4.17.12: for each smb user there are 4 nobody.nogroup smb-connections

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Feb 7 12:18:45 UTC 2024

Hello,

I run a samba server which is not the domain controller. So
authentication of users is done by the native Windows domain controller
and the samba-server has just joined the domain.

It serves files stored on linux NFS file servers to windows users.
Basically this workes fine and is a service running in this config for
years on SUSE SLES15SP5 systems.

Since a while each new samba version shows for each user (in smbstatus
-b) on average 4 more smb connections that belong to nobody.nogroup . At
the moment I count 67 users in smbstatus -b and 305 smb nobody
connections. It seems to me that these processes are eating up "open
files" because over time I also had to increase the number ob open files
by a factor of 10 to 196608 by now else I would get a "to many open
files error from samba".

The number of nobody's is increasing all the time and never gets smaller
again except in case of a reboot :-).

Is there anything I can do to avoid this nobody trouble? Any ideas?

My smb.conf is this:

[global]
         workgroup = MYNAME
         server string = Samba on smbhost (version %v)
         unix extensions = no
         wide links = yes
         kernel oplocks = no
         oplocks = yes
         posix locking = no
         acl allow execute always = yes
         store dos attributes = no
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_KEEPIDLE=60
TCP_KEEPCNT=3 TCP_KEEPINTVL=3
         max open files = 196608
         deadtime = 15
         getwd cache = yes
         stat cache = yes
         browseable = no
         use sendfile = true
         hide files = /desktop.ini/
         disable netbios = yes
         smb ports = 445
         dos charset = CP850
         unix charset = CP850
         name resolve order = host wins bcast
         netbios name = smbhostverw
         netbios aliases = smbhostverwalias1 smbhostverwalias2 vwstorage2
         clustering = no
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         vfs objects = fileid
         realm = MYNAME.MYDOMAIN
         security = ADS
         winbind use default domain = no
         winbind max domain connections = 10
         winbind max clients = 1000
         winbind reconnect delay = 20
         map to guest = Bad User
         idmap config MYNAME : backend = nss
         idmap config MYNAME : range = 0-2000000
         idmap config MYNAMW : read only = yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 3000000-4000000
         idmap config * : read only = no
         map acl inherit = yes
         include = /etc/samba/smbshares.conf

Thank you very much,
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Universität Koblenz, ZIMT
Raum A022, Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz,