[Samba] Samba, Kerberos, Autofs: Shares get disconnected

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:34:15 UTC 2024

Op 07-02-2024 om 10:11 schreef Pluess, Tobias:
> Hi Kees,
>
> I do not think the share keeps being mounted while nobody is logged
> in, as I try to use autofs which only mounts shares when they are
> actually accessed.
> So the scenario is
>
> a) some user logs into his workstation, Kerberos ticket is created
> b) the user accesses the share, works fine
> c) user does not switch off PC, e.g. because some programs need to
> continue running during the weekend
> d) when user returns after more than 10 hours have passed, he is still
> logged into his workstation, but the ticket is expired and he cannot
> any more access the share, and autofs cannot remount it, as the ticket
> has expired.
>
> How do I use the machine account for mounting?

For me there are 2 questions here:

1. Why does the user ticket expire while he is logged in?

2. How to mount the share with the machine account?

ad. 1. I had a similar issue in 03-2022, read the details and solution
here: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2022-March/239876.html

ad. 2. @Rowland, do you have the details at hand for this? I will look
into it when unix-extensions for smb3.11 are implemented. The idea is to
use the machine account's user and ticket, then the ticket is managed by
winbind.

- Kees.