[Samba] How to troubleshoot spotlight = yes feature?

Alex peter.alexander99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 18:22:41 UTC 2024

Hi!
I am on Ubuntu 20.04 with the vendor provided Samba 4.15.13 packages. My
smb.conf is at the end of the email.

I have Gnome Tracker set up and working (from the command prompt on the
server, tracker search keyword, is working) as per
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight_with_Gnome_Tracker_Backend

However, from the macOS workstation side, Spotlight still does not appear
to be working (i.e. when you type anything in the Finder search box, it
just shows a blank folder/results, instead of the spinning wheel
"Searching..." and showing results.

Is there anything I should look for in the Samba log files or any "logging"
parameters to increase the verbosity for this feature?

Thanks,

Peter

[global]
        workgroup = SAMDOM
        realm = SAMDOM.TLD
        security = ADS
        domain master = no
        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        host msdfs = no
        load printers = no
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = yes
        disable netbios = yes
        server min protocol = SMB3_02
        client min protocol = SMB3_02
        winbind refresh tickets = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind enum users  = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind nss info = rfc2307
        vfs objects = acl_xattr catia fruit
        ;vfs objects = acl_xattr catia fruit streams_xattr
        map acl inherit = yes
        store dos attributes = yes
        kerberos method = secrets and keytab
        template shell = /bin/false
        template homedir = /home/samba/%U
        idmap config SAMDOM:backend = rid
        idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config SAMDOM:range = 10000-999999
        idmap config SAMDOM:unix_nss_info = yes
        idmap config SAMDOM:unix_primary_group = no
        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 3000-7999
        rpc_server:mdssvc = embedded
        spotlight = yes
        spotlight backend = tracker
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 3
        max log size = 10000

[Share]
        path = /srv/samba/Share
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        writeable = yes
        veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/.Trashes/.TemporaryItems/Thumbs.db/
        delete veto files = yes
        acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
        spotlight = yes