[Samba] GPO Editor says "Access denied" for Group Policy Objects

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Thu Apr 25 17:32:26 UTC 2024

Hello Rowland, Luis, all,

>> The group ID of the sysvol entry is "3000000", while on the domain
>> member, the Domain Admin group has the group ID "300512".
> Hmm, If you are using rfc2307 attributes, how can the group have the ID
> 3000000 on a DC (which I would expect), but 300512 on a Unix domain
> member ?
> Can we see the smb.conf from the Unix domain member ?
>
> The thing with AD and sysvol is that Domain Admins must own things in
> sysvol and normally a Unix group cannot own anything, only Unix users
> can do this. So, by default on a Samba AD DC, Domain Admins is both a
> group and a user (this is set in idmap.ldb on the DC, where Domain
> Admins is classified as ID_TYPE_BOTH). If you give Domain Admins a
> gidNumber attribute, it breaks this and it just becomes a Unix group
> and cannot own anything.

Yes, I know this, but as we can see this is not the case.

>> The relevant portion of the DC config is:
>>
>> [global] netbios name = XXX realm = XXXX.yyyy.ZZ server role = active
>> directory domain controller dns forwarder = X,Y workgroup = ZZ
>> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes template shell = /bin/bash winbind use
>> default domain = true winbind offline logon = false winbind nss info
>> = rfc2307 winbind enum users = yes winbind enum groups = yes winbind
>> nested groups = Yes server schannel = yes [sysvol] path =
>> /var/lib/samba/sysvol read only = No
>>
>> So what do I need to change?
> Your email client LOL

Ah yes I will format the lines better next time :-(

> [global]
>   netbios name = XXX
>   realm = XXXX.yyyy.ZZ
>   server role = active directory domain controller
>   dns forwarder = X,Y
>   workgroup = ZZ
>   idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>   template shell = /bin/bash
>   winbind use default domain = true
>
> The line above does nothing an a DC
>
>   winbind offline logon = false
>
> The line above is the default
>
>   winbind nss info = rfc2307
>
> The line above does nothing an a DC
>
>   winbind enum users = yes
>   winbind enum groups = yes
>
> You should only set the two lines above for testing purposes, Samba
> will work perfectly well without them.
>
>   winbind nested groups = Yes
>   server schannel = yes
>
> The two lines above are defaults
>
> [sysvol]
>   path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>   read only = No
>
> What happened to the 'netlogon' share ? If you removed it, I suggest
> you put it back.

No , I just omitted that part. The enum lines are only there for
testing, I know that it reduces performance.

So I understand I can simplify the dc config, but it is not "wrong"
(before looking at below member server config).

Here is the domain member server config:

    workgroup = XXXX
    security = ADS
    realm = XXXX.yyyy.ZZ
    winbind refresh tickets = Yes
    kerberos method = secrets and keytab
    winbind use default domain = no
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind nested groups   = Yes
    winbind expand groups   = 4
    server schannel = yes
    access based share enum = true
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
    idmap config XXXX : backend = rid
    idmap config XXXX : range = 300000-400000

The "XXXX" stands for our our AD domain, there might be other coming so
this is why we set an idmap range for that domain.

I suspect that I forgot to set the idmap config on the DC(s) accordingly?

Regards, Jakob Curdes