[Samba] Samba AD Authentication Issues After Update

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 14:02:25 UTC 2024

On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:28:16 +0100
Zaheer Abbas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Samba stopped authenticating AD users after minor upgrade.
>
> Environment:
> - OS: CentOS 7
> - Samba Version: Upgraded from samba-4.10.16-15 to samba-4.10.16-25

The problem is, Centos 7 will go EOL in about 3 months, at which point
you will have to move to Centos stream (which is a different beast to
the Centos you have now) , use RHEL (which, because you are using
Centos, I doubt you want to) or use Rocky Linux, Alma Linux etc.

4.10.x is EOL from the Samba point of view, in fact 4.20.0 has
just been released, so there is little chance of getting 4.10.x fixed
if you have found a bug, unless it is fixed in RHEL and then ported to
Centos 7.

I suggest you upgrade to something like Rocky Linux 9, which will get
you 4.17.x (still EOL from Samba (Samba supports the last three
versions, 4.20, 4.19 and 4.18)). If you want a very recent version of
Samba, use Debian 12 and Samba from bookworm-backports, this will get
you 4.19.5

If you still have your problem after upgrading to a version supported
by Samba, then I suggest you open a bug report.

Of course, it may be a configuration error, so it might help if you
post the output from 'testparm -s'

Rowland