[Samba] anonymous samba server with unauthenticated guest access policy

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 27 10:09:48 UTC 2023

On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:56:19 +0300
Michael Tokarev via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> 27.09.2023 12:38, Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:39:00 +0300
> > Michael Tokarev via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> What's the best way to have an anonymous samba server (with
> >> read-only shares only, users can't modify anything) with todays
> >> windows which block unauthenticated guest access by default and
> >> require signing?
> >>
> >> Is the only solution (besides unblocking which is not nice) is to
> >> add this server to the domain in question?
>
> > Hi Michael, it is my understanding that if it is the Windows machine
> > that has guest access turned off, then there is nothing that Samba
> > can do to re-enable it, so you must use authenticated users.
>
> Heh.  It's as good answer as useless.  But ok :)

No, it isn't useless, it is a fact. If guest access is turned off on a
Windows machine (currently win10 pro and up, I believe), then nothing
you can do on or with a Samba server will turn it back on again, you
have to turn it on again in Windows.

You can run Samba as a standalone server, AD DC, Domain member etc and
have all the required guest parameters set correctly and you still will
not get anonymous access from a Windows machine if it is turned off on
the Windows machine.

Rowland