[Samba] msdfs: root vs folder referrals and more

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Sep 26 11:48:58 UTC 2023

Hi!

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/dfs-namespaces/change-the-amount-of-time-that-clients-cache-referrals
says about two different types of referrals: root referrals
vs folder referrals.

Folder referrals, as far as I can see, is what samba uses
when you turn "msdfs root = yes" for a share.  These are
special-form "dfs" symlinks within the share.

Am I right root referral is what's named "msdfs proxy" in
samba, which allows to redirect a share itself to another
place?

If this is the case, I'm not sure why such root referrals
are cached for 5 mins while directory referrals are cached
for much longer 30 mins by default, - I'd say it should
be the opposite ;)

And if this is the case, maybe it's time to make the samba
docs to be consistent with Microsoft docs?

I still can't find information about domain-based DFS anywhere,
there are mentions that samba can participate in domain-based
DFS but nothing more, and server manager which microsoft uses
to configure dfs shares on a given server says this domain
(or server) does not support dfs.

Also, I remember seeing an example smb.conf somewhere,
where directory referrals were specified directly in
smb.conf, but I can't find it now. Maybe I'm dreaming
and it was "msdfs proxy" instead..

Thanks!

/mjt