[Samba] Samba AD DC: users cannot change expired passwords

Pluess, Tobias tpluess at ieee.org
Tue Sep 26 07:05:21 UTC 2023

Hi Rowland

I went to my DC and set the samba log level to 10.
Then I rebooted the DC.
Afterwards, I went to the windows 10 machine and first logged in as a
"normal" user that has no expired password. That worked of course well.
Then I logged out and tried to log in as a new user, that has never logged
in before, and whose account was configured as "user needs to change the
password on first login". Then I was stuck in the "password expired" loop
as described before.
I uploaded the log.samba file to my Nextcloud

https://hb9fsx.ch/nextcloud/s/bW8zx52TaTsJ44j

as it is quite large. I marked the positions in the log where i logged in
as "######## existing user login #######" and "######## new user with
expired password login #######" so they can be found easily.
But I believe the log is, unfortunately, not very helpful, as I cannot see
any messages about the expired passwords, I cannot even find the user names
of users who logged in, so therefore this log file is probably either not
the right one or it will be difficult to impossible to learn something
about this problem from that log. Nevertheless I wanted to share it  with
you as you still may find something in there, hopefully.

Let me know if I can help with providing further log files or doing other
experiments.

Thanks,
best
Tobias