[Samba] Some users cannot access shares with FQDN, but can with IP or hostname

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 22 06:13:38 UTC 2023

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:57:38 -0700
Luke Barone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a Samba setup on Debian Bookworm, 2 DCs (dc1/dc2) and a file
> server (fs1). We host our shares on FS1, and apply security level
> permissions through the Windows File Explorer.
>
> I have a user who is part of the group allowed to access the share,
> but keeps getting Access Denied errors if using the FQDN in the path
> (i.e. \\ fs1.example.com\Sharename),

Now that just might be a typo, but if it isn't, then it shouldn't work.
Lower down your realm is 'EXAMPLE.AD.CA' on the fileserver, and
'AD.EXAMPLE.CA' on the DCs, hopefully one should be correct, in which
case, to access the share it should be something like
\\fs1.example.ad.ca\Sharename

Do you want to try again, but this time, please use the same
sanitisation everywhere.

Rowland