[Samba] MSA accounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 18 21:58:28 UTC 2023

I've not looked into non-Group MSAs in detail.

The required server-side behaviour won't happen, but the schema update
should allow clients to handle the passwords, as the accounts are all
client-managed.

It says here:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ask-the-directory-services-team/managed-service-accounts-understanding-implementing-best/ba-p/397009

> If your domain is less than WIndows Server 2008 R2 Domain Functional
> Level, automatic passwords will work. Automatic SPN management will
> not
> work, and SPN’s will have to be maintained by administrators

This is where Samba is at, there isn't any special server-side code for
this, just like there isn't in Windows 2003.

As to future support if this behaviour happens to be 'on the way' to
GMSA support, then it may get done for that project.

Andrew Bartlett