[Samba] Windows XP SP3 cannot join to the Samba AD domain on Debian 11 4.17.10

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:24:30 UTC 2023

Op 13-09-2023 om 11:11 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:45:10 +0300
> Michael Tokarev via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> 12.09.2023 22:36, Andrew Bartlett via samba:
>>> Thanks.  Can you please write up a wiki page with these details?
>> Andrew, are you sure we wan this info easily findable on the wiki? :)
>> I mean, it is terrible, it really is.. I wonder if Microsoft allows
>> to join WinXP machines to the current AD domain.  The thing is that
>> whole thing should not be used in 2023+, period.  Yes, I understand
>> there might be various interesting use cases, but that often can be
>> done on a stand-alone WinXP machine, not joined to a domain, - so the
>> whole domain isn't crippled.
> Hello Michael, I feel the same as yourself, I just wish that XP would
> go away. The problem is that there are very expensive pieces of
> equipment out there that use an embedded version of XP and these will
> not go away. There are ways around them, such as 'sandboxing' them.
>
> What I think the whole 'embedded' thing has shown, is that you really
> shouldn't buy any expensive equipment that has a computer that
> cannot be updated/upgraded easily.
I don't know anything about this use-case for XP, but I do know that
things like ATMs in the past used very old software, some 10 years ago,
some were still using Windows NT...

Now if you are into this kind of business, there is probably not much
you can choose. There are a few vendors and you have a long term
relation with one or two them. Replacing an ATM is not a simple job, let
alone hundreds of them.