[Samba] sockets in /var/lib

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 12 08:40:17 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-09-12 at 11:07 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Generally, samba does place its files a bit arbitrary and
> unthinkfully.For example, in debian I have a patch which move socket
> directory (whichis definitely a runtime thing, with sockets to
> communicate with runningprocesses) to lock directory instead of
> having them in /var/lib/samba/ (!!)where they don't fit at all.

The main reason that at least some of the sockets are under
/var/lib/samba is that the socket permisisons are long-term state, even
if the listeners are ephemeral.
I agree it feels a bit random, partly due to trying not to break old
installations, but we did read the FHS docs and put in some effort to
sort things into the right categories.
Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group