[Samba] Windows XP SP3 cannot join to the Samba AD domain on Debian 11 4.17.10

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 11 19:55:22 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-09-11 at 17:10 +0000, Paulo Cesar via samba wrote:
> I also know about the fact that Windows XP is an obsolete system and
> should no longer be in use but unfortunately it is still used in some
> specific situations for some of the organizations that I provide
> services.

If I was in this situation, and Windows XP failed but Windows 2003
still worked, I would try to use Windows 2003 for whatever the need is.

Hopefully they are compatible enough for whatever special use case you
have.

But in general, they are much the same codebase, but I wonder if
possibly the server got a few more late patches.

In mentioning WinXP, I notice they are still issuing some security
patches, like this one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

(Also for 2003)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55248

As to debugging, clearly the join fails at:

09/11 11:39:07 NetpGetComputerObjectDn: Unable to bind to DS on '\\servert.teste.smb4.rede': 0x54f
09/11 11:39:07 NetpSetDnsHostNameAndSpn: NetpGetComputerObjectDn failed: 0x54f
09/11 11:39:07 ldap_unbind status: 0x0
09/11 11:39:07 NetpJoinDomain: status of setting DnsHostName and SPN: 0x54f
09/11 11:39:07 NetpJoinDomain: initiaing a rollback due to earlier errors

I would ensure the clocks are already in sync with NTP, then get a
network trace taken from the server and turn up the Samba logs to 'log
level = 10', with 'debug highres timestamp = yes' and look for the
matching packet (a bind presumably) and anything samba indicates about
the failure.

But this may be a case for a Samba commercial support provider, it
looks pretty tricky.

Andrew,

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions