[Samba] Samba version 4.19.0 with Applied Forest Update messages

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 10 19:26:29 UTC 2023

On Fri, 2023-09-08 at 21:47 -0300, Anderson Sampaio Mello via samba
wrote:
> Hi Samba Team.
>
> I installed samba version 4.19.0 to test, before putting it into
> production, at the end of the process of creating a new domain,
> messages
> appeared that did not appear before and in front there was always the
> message: Applied Forest Update

Yes, we re-use the logic that is available to raise an existing domain
to be 'prepared' for FL 2016 at the end of the provision, by default,
so administrators don't need to do it themselves later.  This is
optional.

> What update in the forest is this?

https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.19.0.html

AD database prepared to FL 2016 standards for new domains

While Samba still provides only Functional Level 2008R2 by default,
Samba as an AD DC will now, in provision ensure that the blank
database is already prepared for Functional Level 2016, with AD Schema
2019.

This preparation is of the default objects in the database, adding
containers for Authentication Policies, Authentication Silos and AD
claims in particular.  These DB objects must be updated to allow
operation of the new features found in higher functional levels.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions