[Samba] Failed to join domain: failed to find DC for domain...

Rob Campbell robcampbell08105 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:31:10 UTC 2023

> How did you disable Bind9 ?

systemctl stop named
systemctl disable named

> Did you just stop it from running ?
> Did you alter the DCs smb.conf in any way ?

I didn't change anything in the smb.conf.  I initially set it up to use
internal dns and I never changed it, even after I installed bind9. After
installing it, I thought, "I don't really want to do this" so I did the
above.  What I didn't do is 'systemctl disable bind9;systemctl stop bind9'.
After doing that.

net ads join -U administrator
Password for [HOME\administrator]:
Using short domain name -- HOME
Joined 'D01' to dns domain 'home.rob-campbell.lan'

It was definitely a firewall issue.  I opened the required ports this time
rather than the services and everything is working (afaik).

Now I can move on to logging in to the domain member as a domain user.

Thanks.

In all things, Be Intentional.