[Samba] ERROR: incorrect GUID component for distinguishedName

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 8 15:44:34 UTC 2023

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 16:52:35 +0200
Arnaud FLORENT via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi
>

> before upgrading AD DC running samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu
>

> i get errors i can not fix on AD db
>
> samba-tool dbcheck reports 26 errors  incorrect GUID component for
> distinguishedName in object
>

> ie
>
> ERROR: incorrect GUID component for distinguishedName in object
> CN=ms-DS-Members-For-Az-Role,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=abcdef,DC=ghi-
> <GUID=c96aece1-fdda-4f4f-a4d8-e0bb31bdd7f7>;CN=ms-DS-Members-For-Az-Role,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=abcdef,DC=ghi
>

> when i try to run samba-tool dbcheck --fix it fails with
>

> Change DN to
> <GUID=c96aece1-fdda-4f4f-a4d8-e0bb31bdd7f7>;CN=ms-DS-Members-For-Az-Role,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=abcdef,DC=ghi?
> [y/N/all/none] y
> Failed to fix incorrect GUID on attribute distinguishedName : (32,
> "Base-DN
> '<GUID=c96aece1-fdda-4f4f-a4d8-e0bb31bdd7f7>;CN=ms-DS-Members-For-Az-Role,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=abcdef,DC=ghi'
> not found")
>

> is there a way to fix this using ldbedit?

Not that I am aware of. If I remember correctly, this error was
prevalent with the early versions of Samba and you need to upgrade to
4.6.0 or higher to be able to fix it.
You appear to be in a bit of a 'chicken and hen' situation here, all I
can suggest is that you try to upgrade on a test server.

Rowland