[Samba] New (4.18 provisioned) domain is missing id lookups from idmap.ldb (solved)

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:12:00 UTC 2023

On 05-09-2023 11:55, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 11:35:54 +0200
> Kees van Vloten via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> Are you really sure this is something in your new environment, not
>>> something odd about the old one?
>> Yes, it runs on a freshly deployed physical machine in a new lxc
>> container.
>>
>> I am building up a completely new environment. I am using common
>> Ansible code (roles and playbooks) but an inventory per environment.
>> The only differences are names, networks etc. and of course upgrade
>> history for the existing environments.
>>
>>> I've not followed this too closely, but the idea with the mode you
>>> selected is that the AD uidNumber and gidNumber are the correct
>>> values, not idmap.ldb values which should never be consulted for
>>> these users any more.
>> The interesting observation is that my other domains are 15 - 40
>> months old but apart from that exactly the same (as far as I can see)
>> and they behave very different in this id lookup on the dc.
>>
>> Rowland just mentioned the winbind cache (how can I check its
>> content?), that is certainly something which is different. Also the
>> content of idmap.ldb is much much bigger on the older domains.
>>
> You can see the contents of the cache with:
>
> net cache list
>
> Rowland

I found the issue, as expected: too silly to talk about :-)

After installing the debian packages, "samba-tool domain provision" and
adding a lot of settings to smb.conf, one *must* restart samba-ad-dc and
only then uid/gid resolving of domain user/group names starts to work ...

The Ansible code is now updated to restart samba before the first name
lookup takes place.

Rowland and Andrew thanks for your help!