[Samba] Permissions issue on domain member server (samba as an appliance)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 30 08:06:03 UTC 2023

On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:35:14 -0400
Greg Dickie <greg at justaguy.ca> wrote:

> Hey Rowland,
>
>   Sorry, I'm thick. I understand why you would not want to create a
> linux user called Administrator but then where will the credentials
> come from? In my AD, I do not have a user called Administrator. I
> guess I must have a user with RID 500 though, I'll look for that.

If you look here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Mapping_the_Domain_Administrator_Account_to_the_Local_root_User

It tells you how to set up the user.map on a Unix domain member (on a
Samba DC, the mapping is done for you in idmap.ldb).

Amongst the information notes is this:

If, for any reason, you change the domain Administrator account name,
you must use your new name for Administrator in the following instead
of Administrator.

Rowland