[Samba] Permissions issue on domain member server (samba as an appliance)

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Sun Oct 29 20:35:14 UTC 2023

Hey Rowland,

  Sorry, I'm thick. I understand why you would not want to create a linux
user called Administrator but then where will the credentials come from? In
my AD, I do not have a user called Administrator. I guess I must have a
user with RID 500 though, I'll look for that.

Thanks for your help,
Greg

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 3:09 AM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:14:52 -0400
> Greg Dickie <greg at justaguy.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hey Rowland,
> >
> > Hmmm. I may have misunderstood. I don't believe it explicitly said to
> > do that but I took it as that. Should I create a local Administrator
> > account instead?
> >

> The whole idea behind the user map on a Unix domain member is to map
> the Domain Administrator account (RID 500) to the Unix user 'root'.
> When you do something on Windows as 'Administrator' is done on Unix as
> 'root'.
>
> I would never use 'Administrator' directly on Unix and here is why:
>
> I use the 'rid' idmap backend and if I run 'getent passwd
> administrator', I get:
>
> administrator:*:10500:10513::/home/administrator:/bin/bash
>
> As you can see 'Administrator' has the ID '10500', which makes it a
> normal Unix user with no special powers. However, from Windows via
> Samba, the 'Administrator' ID is set to '0' by the user map and I hope
> you realise what other Unix user has the ID '0'.
>
> If you haven't realised yet, no, do not create a local Administrator,
> for one thing, you already have one :-)
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Greg Dickie