[Samba] query account expired state

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 14:22:23 UTC 2023

Op 28-10-2023 om 14:21 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:

>>> But, Samba when running as an AD DC is the source of information AND
>>> the source of authentication. A user with an expired password will
>>> not be allowed to logon.
>> You are right, this is preferable, but not always the case.
>>
>> For example Samba does not support  MFA, an application that does
>> this can use Samba as its user database but has to perform the MFA
>> authentication with its own mechanism.
>>
>> The situation I have is that you can login with MFA (from internet)
>> while you are blocked with normal authentication (when in the office)
>> when your password is expired. That is definitely not alright!
> It isn't, but I would say that is a failing in the MFA rather than
> Samba AD.

Not really, there is no way you can make an LDAP filter to see that an
account is expired. Samba simply does not provide that information in a
form that can be used in an application filter (which is the same a
single ldapsearch command).

Your suggestion below to have 'ms-DS-User-Password-Expired' would solve
the whole issue and so does setting bit-23 in 'userAccountControl'.

But both are not implemented yet, i.e. for the time being a workaround
is required for this piece of functionality. That brings me back to the
plan of making a small cron-script for this purpose.

To prevent a potential race condition with Samba updating something in
'userAccountControl' and the cron-script as well, it might be a better
idea to use another user attribute, for example the nowadays obscure
'primaryTelexNumber ' and set it to 'expired=true'.  With that the issue
is solved, the LDAP query to check for a user that can be allowed to
login would be:

'(&(objectCategory=person)(!(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))(!(primaryTelexNumber=*expired=true*)))'

Using asterisks around 'expired=true' allows for other string to be
added to this attribute, would there be the need for it.

This is non-intrusive, it can be simply removed when Samba acquires the
real functionality.

What about the other question: for testing purposes it would be so handy
to be able to set expiry on an account by hand. What would be an easy
way to do that?  I would think an ldbmodify, but what would be the
modification?

- Kees.