[Samba] Samba AD DC: users cannot change expired passwords

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 08:44:51 UTC 2023

Hi Andrew,

Op 27-10-2023 om 02:22 schreef Andrew Bartlett:
> I'm sorry to say that from here you really need to work closely with a
> Samba developer (eg via a commercial support provider) or do a deep
> dive into debugging yourself.
>
> Ideally if you have time, do a git bisect between the last known
> working version and the first failing one.  That may find the
> problematic commit, which will make a fix and adding a regression test
> much faster.
If the statement (below) is that it should not work, then I don't see
why it is worth an investigation. Can you clarify that?

> I would note that we should never allow access over LDAP as a user who
> has an expired password, even with the intention to change the
> password.  Some other protocols (like kpasswd) should allow access
> only to the password change service, and password changes over SAMR
> can be done as one user (eg a service user) to change the password of
> another.
I am not sure that it does not work on MS-AD  because the
self-service-password application has some options for this:

# Active Directory mode
# true: use unicodePwd as password field
# false: LDAPv3 standard behavior
$ad_mode = true;
# Force account unlock when password is changed
$ad_options['force_unlock'] = true;
# Force user change password at next login
$ad_options['force_pwd_change'] = false;
# Allow user with expired password to change password
$ad_options['change_expired_password'] = true;

Why would there be an option 'change_expired_password' when this is not
a supported feature in AD?

Since I have no MS-AD so cannot check it.

- Kees.

> [...]
>> "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "Plaintext",
>> "clientPolicyAccessCheck": null, "serverPolicyAccessCheck": null,
>> "duration": 5351}}
>> log.samba has as litte info (at loglevel 3):
>> [2023/10/26 20:21:10.240175,  3]
>> ../../source4/auth/ntlm/auth.c:206(auth_check_password_send)
>>     auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user
>> [SAMDOM]\[test1]@[DC1]
>>     auth_check_password_send: user is: [SAMDOM]\[test1]@[DC1]
>> [2023/10/26 20:21:10.245239,  2]
>> ../../source4/auth/sam.c:259(authsam_account_ok)
>>     sam_account_ok: Account for user 'test1' password expired!.
>> [2023/10/26 20:21:10.245253,  2]
>> ../../source4/auth/sam.c:261(authsam_account_ok)
>>     sam_account_ok: Password expired at 'Mon Aug 14 11:54:53 2023 CEST'
>> unix time.
>> [2023/10/26 20:21:10.245274,  2]
>> ../../source4/auth/ntlm/auth.c:399(auth_check_password_recv)
>>     auth_check_password_recv: sam authentication for user [SAMDOM\test1]
>> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_EXPIRED, authoritative=1
>> [2023/10/26 20:21:10.245284,  2]
>> ../../auth/auth_log.c:858(log_authentication_event_human_readable)
>>     Auth: [LDAP,simple bind/TLS] user [SAMDOM]\[CN=test 1 user,OU=User
>> Accounts,DC=samdom,DC=com] at [Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:21:10.245280 CEST]
>> with [Plaintext] status [NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_EXPIRED] workstation [DC1]
>> remote host [ipv4:192.168.1.17:36386] mapped to [SAMDOM]\[test1]. local
>> host [ipv4:192.168.1.13:389]
>> - Kees.
>> Op 26-09-2023 om 09:05 schreef Pluess, Tobias via samba:
>>> Hi Rowland
>>> I went to my DC and set the samba log level to 10.
>>> Then I rebooted the DC.
>>> Afterwards, I went to the windows 10 machine and first logged in as a
>>> "normal" user that has no expired password. That worked of course well.
>>> Then I logged out and tried to log in as a new user, that has never logged
>>> in before, and whose account was configured as "user needs to change the
>>> password on first login". Then I was stuck in the "password expired" loop
>>> as described before.
>>> I uploaded the log.samba file to my Nextcloud
>>> https://hb9fsx.ch/nextcloud/s/bW8zx52TaTsJ44j
>>> <https://hb9fsx.ch/nextcloud/s/bW8zx52TaTsJ44j>
>>> as it is quite large. I marked the positions in the log where i logged in
>>> as "######## existing user login #######" and "######## new user with
>>> expired password login #######" so they can be found easily.
>>> But I believe the log is, unfortunately, not very helpful, as I cannot see
>>> any messages about the expired passwords, I cannot even find the user names
>>> of users who logged in, so therefore this log file is probably either not
>>> the right one or it will be difficult to impossible to learn something
>>> about this problem from that log. Nevertheless I wanted to share it  with
>>> you as you still may find something in there, hopefully.
>>> Let me know if I can help with providing further log files or doing other
>>> Thanks,
>>> best