[Samba] Issue creating share on Windows domain-joined Debian 12 Server

Joel R Smith joelrsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:34:35 UTC 2023

Environment:
New install of Debian 12 (Physical Server)
Latest Samba via apt (4.17.12)

So I am most of the way there getting this to work. I have successfully
joined the Debian server to our windows domain. I have created a "Unix
Admins" windows security group with the "SeDiskOperatorPrivilege" enabled.
The file share exists although I am not yet able to open it. The problem I
am having is when attempting to manage the share by connecting to the Linux
server in Windows using Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares >
"Share Name" > Properties. In the properties of the share when I go to the
"Security" tab, the following message appears: "You must have read
permissions to view the properties of this object". I am unable to take
ownership through the interface.

Some strange behavior I also noticed that may be related: When I attempt to
map the domain account I am using to the local root account (user.map:
!root = NETWORK\Admin) I am unable to connect to the Debian server using
computer management. It immediately gives an error and the Computer
Management MMC opens up blank. Immediately after commenting out the
user.map line and running  smbcontrol all reload-config I can again connect
to the server with Computer Management.

Here are the guides I have been referencing:

contents of smb.conf:

workgroup = network
password server = dc.network.domain.ca
realm = NETWORK.DOMAIN.CA
security = ads
idmap config * : range = 16777216-33554431
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind use default domain = true
winbind offline logon = false