[Samba] samba-tool domain backup online and Administrator password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 12 21:07:49 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-10-12 at 21:01 +0000, bd730c5053df9efb via samba wrote:
> Hi all!
> I use bacula to perform automated backups of everything needed to get
> my network up and running in case of disaster and when I backup my
> DC's I execute a script which creates an offline backup of the DC
> which I then backup to an external storage. I would like to be able
> to create an online backup too but I don't like the idea of having my
> domain administrator's password laying around in some script file. Is
> there a way to perform an online backup in a passwordless fashion?

An offline backup is all you need, the online option is for when it is
useful to get this remotely, and runs via a different codepath (which
sometimes matters) but otherwise these are equivalent.
Andrew,

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions