[Samba] Is it possible to reduce the number of workers for rpcd_winreg?

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Tue Oct 10 11:58:54 UTC 2023

Dear Samba Group,

I recently updates our samba addc's to 4.18.6 (from 4.7.7). We use roaming profile and a login script which queries active shares and printers on the logon servers. Since the update i see a lot of
rpcd_winreg processes if an user logs on. It are around 40 of these processes each consuming around 60MB. The servers have 1-2GB of ram assigned so they start swapping everytime an user logs on. The
processes disappear after 1-2 Minutes and the free memory goes back from 50MB to ~1.2GB (on an 2GB server).
Is there a way to limit the number of workers so i can avoid swapping?
So far i found "prefork backoff increment", "prefork children" and "prefork maximum backoff" variables which are related to the workers but these are not helpful in my case.

The operating system is debian bookworm.

smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = domain.loc
        netbios name = SERVER

        logging = syslog
        log level = 0

        usershare path =

        interfaces = 192.168.0.1 127.0.0.1
        bind interfaces only = yes

        dns forwarder = 192.168.0.200

        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        idmap config * : range = 3000000-4000000
        ldap server require strong auth = no
        kccsrv:samba_kcc = no
        deadtime = 10

Thanks in advance,