[Samba] Question about short names

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 4 11:50:31 UTC 2023

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:04:41 +0000
Borut Rozman via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> As we are migrating from SSSD to Samba, to accommodate wider audience
> of users (NFS/SMB) I stumbled upon a problem with quotas and users.
> When I joined the the server to AD, all quota's previously assigned to
> users didn't apply anymore, also I can't anymore assign quotas to
> users in short format
>
> eg.  edquota user
>
> I need to use
> edquota DOMAIN\\user or edquota user at fqdn
>
> also listing of files/folders shows in format
>
> DOMAIN\user DOMAIN\group format
>
> I would like all to be without that domain bit.
>
> I added :
>
> winbind use default domain = yes
>
> to global part of smb.conf but did not do the trick. How can I remove
> the domain part from showing?
>
> PS even ssh-ing remotely to the server from this point needs full
> format as short format usernames don't work.
>
> I am using
> Samba version 4.17.10-Debian
>
> Kind regards
> Borut

I initially thought you were referring to the computers short hostname,
but, no you are referring to the username.

If adding 'winbind use default domain = yes' to the smb.conf isn't
removing the NetBIOS domain name from the username, then it is probable
that one of two things is occurring:

A) You are trying to do this on a DC, this will not work, you are stuck
with 'DOMAIN\username'.
B) You are trying to do this on a Unix domain member and are using the
autorid idmap backend, again this will not work.

I suggest you give us a bit more information.

Rowland